Windows are an essential part of your home. They let in light. They allow for ventilation. They protect the home against intruders and the elements. They also help provide insulation for energy savings. Without windows, your home would be dark, uncomfortable, and just like a cave. But old, worn-out windows can be equally frustrating. Fortunately, replacement windows in Carlsbad, CA can help revitalize your living space. But first, here are 10 things you may not know about windows:
1. It is against safety standards to paint windows shut because it means occupants cannot get in and out in case of an emergency. If you have windows that are painted shut, it might be time for replacement windows.
2. Wood windows are the oldest type of windows. And though wood frames still hold a classic appeal, they are rarely used on modern homes because they require more upkeep and tend to expand and contract easily with heat and cold.
3. Argon gas is commonly used between window panes instead of normal air or a vacuum. It is an odorless, colorless, non-toxic gas. But because it has more density it can help reduce thermal transmittance. Argon gas also helps prevent fogging between the window panes.
4. Window grilles are bars on the outside of the window meant to help prevent accidents or break-ins. But some homeowners choose to put grilles on windows purely for aesthetic reasons. They are often made of metal or vinyl.
5. Bay windows were popularized in Victorian England. They are a three-sided window that protrudes outside the home for a better view, more natural light, and added space.
6. Awning windows are called such because they hinge at the top and push out to open, just like an awning. These windows are popular because they provide ventilation while keeping rain and debris out.
7. Most homeowners choose vinyl when purchasing replacement windows. The material is durable, efficient, easy to clean, and weather resistant. And it doesn’t hurt that vinyl windows are some of the most affordable products on the market.
8. Old, leaky windows can account for up to 40% of a home’s energy losses. That can add up from year to year and cost homeowners thousands of dollars. Double glazed windows have two panes of glass and triple glazed windows have three panes of glass to help improve insulation and provide better energy savings.
9. Special laminated coatings on replacement windows can work to significantly reduce sound transmission. This will make the home quieter and more peaceful.
10. Ever used a crank to open a window? Then it was likely a casement window. These windows hinge to one side and open outwards much like a door. These are some of the most energy efficient, operable windows on the market because the entire sash closes against the window and locks for a tighter seal.
There is a lot more to learn about replacement windows in Carlsbad, CA. To learn more from the experts contact Pelican Replacement Windows and set up a hassle-free consultation. Our professionals have over 30 years of experience and can tell you everything you want to know about our products.